Thursday, January 13, 2011

What is that squealing noise?

Driving a 96 Nissan Quest minivan.



In the last week a new problem has cropped up. I leave for work around 6:30 in the morning so most of my neighbors are still asleep. I hate to make a lot of noise, but my car isn't cooperating.



I pull out of the driveway and as I turn onto the street there comes a horrendously loud squealing noise from under the hood. I've heard other cars that do this and just shook my head. Now it is happening to me.



I don't know much about cars, so I really don't know what is causing it to make this super loud, high pitched noise. It only lasts about 15 seconds, thank God. But that sure seems like about 15 seconds too long when I'm in the car at 6:30 in the morning.



I'm thinking it could be something to do with the power steering. Or maybe it is a v-belt squealing. All I know for sure is I need to fix it asap, or my neighbors will probably lynch me.



Any ideas what it could be?



Response:

it is most likely your belt for a temporary fix you can spray lubricate on your belt but sooner or later The Belt will need to be replaced. i had a van that did the same thing and this is what i did.